PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silhouette challenge
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2010, 10:34
SincoTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning gentlemen,

Having looked at the overnight comments I'll add my tuppence worth.

Not wishing to appear to sit on the fence, I do find myself in agreement with all of the sentiments expressed!

LM is justifiably aggrieved by the amount of time and effort put in by who knows how many interested viewers, who as we now know, stood no chance of succeeding in finding details of that particular aircraft and probably lost interest, due to the frustration and the resultant very slow pace of the thread, which certainly wasn't fun!

skytrain is happy with the challenge as it eventually panned out, and so am I, but with the following caveat:

Originally Posted by Bradenav
Here a very easy one for this afternoon :
If only Richard had followed this up with "This actual variant is not on the Web; the Challenge is to identify the manufacturer, plus the basic model on which this modification was based and these are well represented" then all would have been clear, I agree that it still wouldn't have fully complied with "Guideline 7", but it would have been an interesting challenge, rapidly solved and as spook points out, something from which we could all learn and add to the knowledge base!

I have been participating in this thread for just over a year now and have learnt an enormous amount about a vast and interesting subject. I feel that it behoves us all to do our bit to add to this knowlege, possibly by contributing to the information on the web. For instance, wouldn't it be good for Richard's photos and information to be added to Wikipedia, so that future SC players wouldn't be left staring at the present statement "There were over thirty W.33 variants, so only a few are listed below", just as I was at various breaks yesterday, until I came to the conclusion that despite the guidelines, the "challenge" as most of us perceived it, just wasn't there to be found. From Richard's response at post #15514, he obviously thinks that he wasnt really after the full ID. I know that I would not like to compose a challenge in another language, and maybe the intent was lost in translation, but as has been said before, it is all for a bit of fun, so Keep in touch spook, let's have more good challenges, including more from Richard (but make them clear mate and learn to control the old green light) and to quote skytrain, who I see has beaten my lumbering typing/thinking skills and posted a new Challenge. let's play