PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unable to join University Air squadron because of childhood asthma
Old 15th Oct 2010, 22:05
Albanian Seahorse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what proportion of RAF officers were members of a UAS? I'd take a stab in the dark at about 50% or so.
Are you basing your numbers on the current numbers? Because yes, I'd agree... but the ~50:50 balance exists from the "old" UAS system, where you joined and the whole UAS emphasis was geared around joining the RAF.

Today though, there is literally zero drive to join up! Consequently there are FAR fewer joining post UAS, although that will only be apparent in a few years time. It is only about now in fact that the first wave of people to enter the "new" UAS system are graduating and joining.

And of those joining at the moment: most were bursars pre-joining, a few weren't but had prior ambitions to join up, and only a VERY small number joined on the off chance, successfully applied and are now starting.

That's a round about way of saying I did agree, until UAS's changed, but not anymore!

I'm still not sure if I'd actually get rid of UAS's, but I don't feel they're the recruiting tool people think they are...

I'd have thought the £3-4k per person to 'snag' them and ensure they're committed to joining after graduation is peanuts overall
Agreed! A number of bursars during my time decided they'd rather do something else and promptly handed their money back. But it's a nice bonus for anyone that is certain about joining...