PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking responsibility for the flying
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2010, 18:08
Checkboard

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts
What I meant was, in Australia (at least when I was there), there is no requirement for multi-pilot courses, command courses, two pilot aircraft , right seat courses, left seat courses etc etc.

The only requirement is that, in aircraft certified for single pilot ops, the pilot in command must be able to reach all of the necessary controls from the seat they occupy.

So, you have a pilot-in-command - who logs command.
You may have a student (under an instructor or training captain) who logs "dual",
You may have other pilots assigned duties for the flight - who all log "co-pilot",
unless they are acting in command (in every sense, not just handling) - who log ICUS...

After all, that is what a "co-pilot" is - a pilot, licensed to do the job they have been assigned (i.e. not training), who isn't in command but is performing duties on board the aircraft.

and so on...

It seems in Europe, they have written the rules for the typical commercial situation, and ignored all GA/private ops, where a PPL may want or need someone (also licensed) to manipulate the controls. It seems poor legislation in that sense - to ignore a VERY common occurrance, leaving it in legal limbo...