PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2010, 13:46
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frostchamber

Harrier has a theoretical OSD of 2018, which would make it feasible for HMS QE to serve her first commission (2015-18) in the STOVL role and then be converted to CATOBAR for a commission around 2020/21. (What sort of use HMS QE would be with a slack handful of GR9/GR9As on board is beyond me, especially if the LPJ heads back to the 'Stan to replace the GR4s if Tornado gets binned in toto next week... )

Under this sort of "plan" (and Mr Boffin will shortly pop up to correct me, I hope) HMS PoW could then be complete in 2017/18 to replace it as CATOBAR, either with an early UK Dave-C airgroup, or, depending on what happens with Cameron - Sarkozy in a few weeks' time (see: Anglo-French defence co-operation: Entente or bust | The Economist), conceivably with an Aeronavale airwing, especially if CdG is under overhaul.

And at least Dave-C looks good on the ground and airborne - just looks better to me than Dave-A (and much much better than Dave-B to my eyes) http://www.jsf.mil/video/f35test/10-...ght_B-Roll.wmv .

Just my ill-informed 0.02...

S41