PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Accident reports
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2002, 04:34
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Hauler:

Hi, yeh there sure are some problems with how to judge landing height flare and hold off to acheive a proper touch down attitude.

Here is a point to ponder. I flew crop dusting for 7 years, we flared and held as low as one foot on some applications, the approach to the flare was about a forty five degree nose down angle in the drop in to the field, the aim point had to be the flare point, to look at the far end of the field would be useless to judge flare height and would result in flying right into the ground.

Also the easiest method to judge flare and touchdown is the constant turn to flare method, far easier to judge than a straight in approach.

Anyhow there is no way to win an argument with what method to use.

I have managed to get by without crashing into the earth using my method so it works for me. And by the way it works for all the pilots whom I teach advanced flying to.

You can bet when I finish with them they know how to flare and land either wheel landings or full stall.

It ain't rocket science, but there sure are a lot of pilots who must think it is rocket science cause they sure don't know how to do it properly, just look at the accident record.

bottom line...poor instruction = poor pilot.

Have fun.

Cat Driver:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.