PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2010, 10:20
JKKne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, I can see why they've done it but it seems the wrong decision.

Perhaps if they want to attract airlines they have to show the airport's ability to turn a profit and this is a way they feel they have to do it.

The comment from Mr Richmond
“If I was a businessperson here I would much prefer to fly from an airport like this rather than Heathrow or Gawtick where, with all due respect, you are a widget in a big machine.”

Although I'm sure in good intentions makes little sense. If I want to transit via Amsterdam then, yes, Teesside is great but that's it! It sounds desperate if anything. As is the comment of people living within 50 miles will understand the charge. They simply won't understand it, they'll go to NCL or LBA where they can use facilities for free.

People did rally against the NCL car park charges but they did maintain a free zone and when they can fly where they want to, see investment in terms of shopping and facilities then they will be less likely to complain.

The problem will be people understanding this and not taking business elsewhere, it may not affect the businessman on Eastern or KLM as he might not be paying the cost but the leisure traveller might be put off which won't attract those charter or lo-co's or scheduleds. (looking at local press comments it seems it's already going down like a brick in the Tees)