PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-Flight reconfiguring Airframe Rotor Disc Control
Old 15th Oct 2010, 09:56
davh12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graviman,

This first prototype does not have feathering, only flapping with a delta 3 axis hinge with regard to coupling between pitch change and flapping there may be coupling of forces. It does not use a swash plate, the hub has a rubber grommet in the center to damper the flapping action. During the power up, I manipulated the tilting of the upper airframe and it has a small amount of back flapping as the rotor wanted to keeps it's original level plane. A servo adjustment will tilt the frame and rotor disc a little forward to start out so there should be less than a 90 degree reaction of the disc attitude when control inputs are made. The drive stick does not control the blade pitch cyclically............this version is fixed pitch and the larger gas version that I'm gathering materials for will be full collective, but still even with the full collective there will not be cyclic pitch control. Control rods will be attached to the pitch horns center the flapping axis. The functioning of rotor disc control for this system will be similar to that of the Baldwin tech craft and the V22 osprey, but the mast, frame & disc incidence will only be enough to vector the thrust and not a complete 90 degree reconfiguration of the rotor system for fixed wing flight. My understanding of rotor dymanics is elementary when compared to most. The mechanics are easy.....the kinematics involved or forces affecting the mechanics, I'm "warm and fuzzy" with, but some of the formulas make me feel as if I am playing chinese checkers with my toes. I am not like most when they come across something that puzzles them. Instead of shying away..I get a silly grin because I enjoy brain candy. It's like the little kid standing outside the glass window of the drug store. Only one lemon drop left and he still needs a few nickels. Let's just say that rotorcraft aerodymanics are my lemons drops and I'm saving all my nickels. The GEN H4 is similar as well, yet it is fixed pitch. The reason the 1st RC prototype is fixed pitch and only forward/aft tilt is due to my taking small steps. I addressed this approach during the patent process as well the DARPA white paper. That being said, I also must deal with lateral drift from the tail rotor during any attempt to hover because there is no lateral control. In all honesty, I plan to set back in a lawn chair, fire up a cigar when it's time for a untethered flight and see what happens. More to follow.

Regards,

Dave