PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cattle Mustering incl Training, Job Prospects (!) etc etc
Old 16th Aug 2002, 03:44
Autorotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve76

Fair enough, no offence taken. I can only go by what I am told from the people I speak to. Two of the three trainee pilots that were there the other day didnt come from rural backgrounds and yet they were given jobs.

Because CASA is breathing down the industry's throat now they have to be a lot squeakier than before which is why I would say that HM is trying to change the way they do business, especially now that they have new owners. Again I can only go by what I have seen and heard. Yes there are a lot of idiots in the mustering industry that deserve to be shut down but there are also a few that are trying to get back on the straight and narrow.

NAH is one that I know have had problems and their Chief Engineer quit the other day. Read between the lines on that one. HM and many others also have to start looking at other places to get pilots as many of the older guys are looking at hanging up their hats, and the bush has changed with not a lot of guys wanting to fork out the money to get a licence.

I am not trying to paint a rosy picture for the overseas guys, just trying to say that it is not a totally closed shop from those that I have spoken to. I would certainly say dont just turn up and hope to get a job, thats too much of a risk to take. I have also spoken to many present and past employees on the mustering, as as you say, some speak good and some speak bad of it.

Just my two cents worth.

Autorotate.