PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow & other Oz offshore pay deals
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2010, 07:32
Bluntendboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ring ring, ring ring..."Hello, it's the decade 2010 calling. We are just calling to advise that its time to update your thinking and consider modern day HR management principles as things have changed a little since the 1950's."

SM...I was not sure if too many people were saying that a 747 bus driver should be paid the same as a light, medium or heavy IFR driver of similar experience. I think the term reasonable was used to compare what an average pilot should expect, whether it be as an offshore pilot or a long liner in the hills in Canuckistan (in this case a multi driver for offshore).

That old chestnut of supply and demand is a great way to try to justify under payment of just about anyone these days. It's a well used excuse by aviation companies the world over and quite frankly it's a tired old one at that. If you want to start talking about cost minimization (ie prudent wage management) of any professional stream, perhaps we could start taking aim at many a senior manager/director/CEO or the like with all these so called performance and safety bonuses

Alas, I am quite open minded to some of these antiquated concepts of staff remuneration and perhaps we can apply the principle of supply and demand to the airlines, hypothetically speaking. For the sake of saving some cash (and being prudent at the same time), let us grab a few fresh 200hr plank wing pilots and stick them in that 747 that is taking us 12 hrs across the Indian ocean tonight. But don't worry (the modern day training standards are high these days), so nothing to be concerned with...and those higher time guys with the experience under their belts...nothing but a bunch of overpaid singers anyway. Send 'em to the bar or recording studio for a scotch, a smoke and one more appearance in front of the mic.

Better still, perhaps we could get SM together with the CEO of RyanAir. Believe he was quoted as saying pilots were over rated and that a flight attendant could assist in an emergency, alleviating the requirement of 2 pilots in the cockpit:

Replace Ryanair Michael O'Leary with flight attendant: pilot

Perhaps this could fit with the offshore world, except this time we could get a rig pig in to assist to 'bring her on home when its all turned to a can of worms'.

I'd be curious to find out what the qualifications are in any case, when comparing an offshore or an EMS twin captain to that of a jet captain. Off the top of my head, most require an ATPL, several thousands hours of ME command and IR renewals, multi-crew and glass cockpit experience. The question begs, if the skills set and the requisite experience levels are similar, then why should the remuneration not follow suit?

Apologies, I just get a little tired of the same rubbish that gets put forward when it comes to trying to explain or justify why we should continue to push the mantra of underpaying or exploiting pilots (or anyone of any professional persuasion).