PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2010, 00:52
skol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just before I turned 60 I complained bitterly to the doctor who was carrying out my medical about having to be extra vigilant because I was flying with geriatrics who weren't up to the job.
I enquired what kind of solution to this matter there may be and was told that psychometric tests can detect senility etc., but they're very expensive.

So the big problem is who's going to wield the axe?

Doctors don't want to because they've got a reputation and a business to protect.
Other pilots don't want to because it may besmirch their reputation and besides it's a legal minefield. You only fly with them once or twice a year, do your penance or go sick.
And the status quo remains.

In the country I live in a pilot who ran a charter business was known to be negligent and incompetent, but no one wanted to wield the axe. Unfortunately while carrying out a single pilot approach in fog while on his mobile phone he impacted the ground killing himself and 5 others.

Many years ago when an unlimited age for pilots was first mooted I wrote to a chap in CAA who is known as the PMO, The Principal Medical Officer and enquired how he was going to assess mental competence of elderly pilots.
He said it wasn't really his problem, it was mine and if I encountered mental incompetence amongst old pilots I would report it to him and he would carry out the necessary tests.
Yeah right, as if I'm gonna do that.

An abdication of responsibility on everyone's part.

Last edited by skol; 15th Oct 2010 at 03:56.