PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2010, 23:58
Married a Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6000PIC

We haven`t even mentioned the safety implications of this frightening arrangement
I have disagreed with this statement before. For Emirates to fly into other countries airspaces they have to meet the safety criteria of the particular regulating bodies.
In reading the middle east forums and hearing afew of the comments on here it does sound like Emirates push their crews pretty hard and there seem to be some disgruntled employees out there

HOWEVER neither the CAA or the FAA or Transport Canada or any of the other bodies have said that Emirates are unsafe to fly into the Heathrows, Torontos and New Yorks.

1001 Crash - Airlines Black List

The above should link to a recent black list in the UK and the US...I do not see Emirates on it.
Now there is either some major palm greasing going in..(which I do not believe...as that would mean said regulatory bodies do not care about safety)...or at the present time Emirates do not operate as dodgy an operation as some people on PPRUNE seem to believe. It may push the limits but has not been considered to be unsafe......fox guarding the chicken coop or not.
You ask if I feel safe with that arrangement?? I feel safe that Transport Canada...and before that the CAA do their jobs and decide who is safe to fly in the airspace I work. If they are making a mistake then lay the finger of blame at them.

The airlines of the UAE possess an unfair , untenable and unrealistic competitive advantage versus most other ICAO / IATA airlines
The problem I have with this statement is as I have repeatedly said before...comparing it to other ICAO/IATA airlines should only be fair when you gauge HOW they became the legacy carriers they are today. If any airline that has THIS big a problem with Emirates can really say they are squeaky clean in the way they have conducted business over the years of aviation then by all means get on the high horse. Be prepared to have your dealings over the years picked over at fine length.
Competitive advantage?? Compared to what? Air Canada vs Porter? BA vs Virgin (at the start)

The problem with this situation is the politics attached, the region involved (by that I mean culture, mentality) and the fact it is a patriotic situation...which will fan the flames of any debate. Canada vs the UAE and all the associated that goes along with it.
It makes for murky waters when it really should be a simple debate of does Canada/Emirates need the extra slots. Emirates have scored an own goal this week by bringing attention to all these extra shennanigans when they could have gained more sympathy by hammering home the "protection" argument that it could be viewed that Air Canada are receiving.
The responses since the situation blew up reinforce that.

I still believe they should be given as many slots as they want and let them succeed or fail based on the market. Let the politics play out away from this argument.