PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2010, 22:53
TRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read the whole thing now and can fill in some gaps

G-WIZZ
I recall doing the pre-delivery bull$hit on this one. The gold lining was real gold leaf. Every - and I mean EVERY - external screw was replaced with a brand new cad-plated one and this included the old-type pan pop-out floats with a million screws a side. The exhaust stacks were removed and polished. The fuel filler cap and pitot were gold plated, as were the Agusta-Bell name plates - except the first time they dissolved in the acid pre-treatment. She looked like a new pin.

G-AYTF
I went to the aid of Col. Bob Smith on the occasion of the engine run-down. It was caused by a fractured P2 air pipe - not quite as described as carrying the fuel-air mixture, but as important to an Alllison in terms of it staying running. The other pilot in wellies was the late John Ackroyd-Hunt.
I also had to do a turbine change in Austria with a colleague - JS - after much trial and tribulation, we ended up doing a ground run with Col. Smith in bare feet - can't remember why, but there must have been a reason. (More about him later).

Peter Cadbury
Not convinced his reg was G-CHOC - although it seems reasonable. His 206 came in for a 50 hour check "hardly flown it since the last one, old boy".
Finding fuel chits and landing fee receipts in the pilots door pocket dated for days that he 'hadn't flown' - awkward phone call miraculously jogged the memory. Suddenly, hours flown since the last check had almost doubled.
The engineer with the burned coat - nylon, not a duffel as previously reported - was Nick Thake.

G-BBBM
Originally operated and maintained by Mann at Fairoaks.Probably the best paint scheme of the time. Standard Bell 206B pattern, but the colours were milk chocolate brown and a burnt orange on white (yes, very 70's) looked fantastic.

Lt. Col. Bob Smith etc.

When I worked at Battersea, the afore-mentioned Colonel was night stopping and the tower ordered him a taxi.
After about half an hour, nothing had turned up so I offered to take him to the hotel on my motor bike. He agreed, so off we set. He in his full pilot's uniform complete with Cavalry Officer's pattern cap, white gloves and nav bag (pre helmet laws).
We arrived at the Waldorf in the West End and the horrified doorman - all clawhammer coat and top hat was ordered by the Col. to look after the bike. I was told to give my helmet to an astonished reception person - similarly ordered by Smith to "look after the bonnet" (he was from Scotland).
We then processed upstairs where the Col. now ordered drinks from an astounded waiter. When the drinks arrived, were duly paid for and the waiter returned with the change. The Col. whipped the coins off the tray like a gas meter reader leaving about 10p tip (I did say he was Scottish). The waiter retired hurt.
By the time the Col. had returned to the heliport in the morning, someone, had replaced the exhaust blanks on his 206 with a 38DD brassiere. Oh how we laughed.

I have another very funny Lt. Col. Bob Smith story, but I don't think I should recount it here.

Savoia.
I can't comment on the difference in paint finish between Bell and Agusta, but there were minor constructional differences. The gutter as you say, a hinged rather than a 'fall-off-and-hang-by-the-wires' circuit breaker panel, a removable panel under the baggage compartment, hand-sewn leather covers on the Hyd Servo pipes and probably some things I can't think of.

My brain hurts now.

If I think of anything else, I'll report.

Oh, I have an apochryphal story about Sox Hosegood. Not sure if it's true, but bloody funny none-the-less.

Last edited by TRC; 14th Oct 2010 at 23:20. Reason: Remembered the Sox Hosegood story