PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA issues warning on Li-On batteries
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2010, 21:15
Shell Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genghis - I think we all know who has more atomospheric research aircraft experience

I am surprised though that NASA would rather run off aircraft power. AFAIC the real issue in PED is the possibility of an uncontained thermal runaway, which are very rare for an uninstalled battery and can be countered fairly simple cooling procedures (on a normal airliner by cooling with ice). Of course not a option with a pallet of them!

SNS

As the FAA say:
Lithium batteries are currently classified as Class 9 materials under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) (49 CFR 180 185). Nonetheless, most lithium batteries
Thats one shortcoming of US regs. Plus, if as you claim, US operators don't have to meet US DG regs when departing overseas thats another big failing in US regs. Are US security regs so lax too? I think not.

As you said elsewhere (after saying here how great the US carriers safety record is):

Sure, downplay the whole thing. After all, the UPS flight didn't really crash and burn, did it? All a hoax?

Or is it possible that one can't take this thread seriously enough, and that the threat is real, and the hazard is real? Could it be