PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cuts endanger UK, RAF's Timo Anderson warns
Old 14th Oct 2010, 14:04
Biggus

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Uncle G,

I wouldn't be so sure - that we will find out on Tuesday that is...

I thought that lots of hints had been dropped, both through the more informed newspapers and the MODs internal briefing sheets, that the document(s?) published on Mon/Tue is/are likely to be paper thin. Lots of high level talk about our place in the future world, strategic direction, etc....

As for most of the fine detail, we will almost certainly have to wait for that. Partly because of the wrangling to the very last minute, partly because there was never enough time to conduct a proper review in the first place.

It has already been stated, although not trumpeted, that a body has been set up (the Defence Reform Unit?), which will, apart from trying to re-organize the internal machinations of the MOD, come out with much of the fine detail - and it has until next Sep I think to complete its work. Dare I say that it will oversee a properly timetabled review? Although information is supposed to be released on a drip feed basis, as it becomes available, rather than everything being announced next Sep with nothing before (shades of death by a thousand cuts?).

So, as possible examples I have made up myself, it might be announced next week that the Tornado fleet will be reduced, but you will have to wait for several months to find out how many Sqns go and which bases are effected/closed. It might be announced next week that the RN surface fleet will be reduced, but with no specifics of which ships and when, etc....

Anyway, we don't have much longer to wait for whatever crumbs of information are forecoming from the government - just don't expect all the answers next Mon/Tue...

All the above is readily available information, and my own interpretation of it - and I don't work in any HQ or Main Building.

Standing by to be corrected by someone who knows better!!