PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I knocked back Cathay
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2010, 12:34
crewsunite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's only for true locals

Come as a Cadet & not only will you be shafted by CX and not get housing, you'll get done by the Gov aswell.
Since you will be paying taxes which will go towards the real locals (some of them earning more than you doing a lessor job than you) for them to get subsidies on housing which you will not be able to receive as you are a foreigner.

(Not too mention double taxation which will becoming soon, IE paying taxes here & in your home country, leaving you with even less)

You can never Win!

My advice remain a expat, get another flying job. Then come as a D S/O or D F/O is you have too.

The pilots here are about to be a "work to rule" at CX.
Guess what CX will not budge! Many will get more upset and leave or get fired. This at a time when capacity is about to improve greatly here and all over the world.

CX will start hiring again in a big way! Sit on you hands & see.
But don't become a CADET!

CX will continue to lie to you & me, and not give much improved conditions, that you may or may not be able to live with. But certainly coming here with no housing will be major disaster!

Don't think you can up and away. Your time here counts as nothing elsewhere. No body does things like CX i.e. P2X is worthless.
(and is rapidly getting worse and the training value in your modules is getting cut all the time to save money)

You may as well set up Flight Sim 2010 and stay with Mom & Dad for 5 yrs then apply for a Job elsewhere. (Ya right! well same same)

Don't forget Airlines are Seniority based. You waste 5+ yrs here, you'll be lucky to start at the bottom elsewhere.

My real advice is stay well clear of being a pilot altogether!

Let me ask you one question:

Why do guys like I bother to right this post?
1) As I'm wanting to warn you about what really goes on here etc ?
or
2) To scare you away thus hopefully limiting the supply of pilots and hopefully giving us some bargaining power to increase our benefits etc.
(Do u see lawyer or banker whom pocket $mil lobbying like this- NO!)

Say what you want.

The reason is BOTH! Because I and others & their families are desperately concerned about the future, but we are stuck in this seniority system and find it hard to move on and start elsewhere.

Starting at the bottom is not an option. It would be better off if we started totally new careers, which also takes time effort & family support.

All of which are very difficult to do when our skills have no bearing in the real world.

We are quickly turning into a miserable & depressed bunch of people becoming more & more under the thumb of powerful bankers & accountants. We have no power over our future, yet are in charge of 300+ peoples lives.

This is very hard to swallow!

Do you really want to be apart of this?

My advice is bugger off go to uni & became a banker or a accountant or a lawyer. And be my boss sooner than you become an F/O.