PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways Pilot dies mid-flight
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2010, 11:02
The Ancient Geek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2. Many of the contributors to this thread have obviously not had to deal with medical emergencies and their main corollary, dead people, on a regular basis. The question: what do I do if my crew dies on me? is valid and requires an answer a little more grounded than expressing condolences and sending a card.
Such incidents are very rare, my 2 non-fatal incapacitation events are probably more than most will experience in their career. The first was in basic training in a Chipmunk and the second hauling freight in a DC3 so there was nothing that could be done in either case other than to get to help on the ground ASAP.
The instructor and the FO both survived but neither flew again.

3. Ancient Geek has done nothing more than relate an experience and make a triage suggestion. In doing so, he has contributed more in terms of points 1 and 2 above than any of those contributors who criticise him for it (and, in contrast to those who berate him for his contribution, he has been neither impolite nor inappropriate).
Maybe I have been a tad insensitive to the religious and cultural values of some contributors, my apologies to any who have been offended.

As others have said, the first priority is to fly the aircraft safely. Then assess the risks and get whatever appropriate help is available. SOPs and prior training are a great help but the best hope will always be the professional medics on the ground.

Last edited by The Ancient Geek; 14th Oct 2010 at 11:21. Reason: spilling mistrakes