PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory- how long does it take?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2002, 01:30
going round

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Cabindoors, Avrodamo & nunos you guys(gals?) are my new hero's. I've just picked up this thread and by the time I got past the first half dozen postings I was ready kick the PC screen in, what with all the talk of 6 weeks study, half an hours revision and first time passes all round.

I started module 1 at the end of September and I am just finishing frame 10 out of 14. That is with an initial burst of enthusiasm followed by a more regular pattern of study which probably averages 10 - 12hrs of worthwhile study a week. Good luck to those who can do the 8 hrs a day but I'm 38, have all the usuall work / home pressures and to be honest, an attention span of about an hour before I have to get up and have a break.

I have found that for me it is necessary to spend time getting an understanding of the concepts and exploring the reason why certain facts are as they are, before moving on to the next frame. I carried on this way up until about frame 6 then, as each new frame came up I spent time going over what I had already learnt on the subject. This obviously slowed me down and if you do this, be prepared to be depressed as you will find you have forgotten a lot.

You will however recognise the facts and having re read them will experience the 'thats it, I remember now' feeling along with the '******, why didnt I know that?' feeling.

There then comes a point where you feel the need to study each section to the standard required to pass the exam. Resist this and move on so that you feel as though you are making progress through the syllabus. You should really be looking to consolidate your knowledge of the facts and figures in your revision period before going on the brush up course. (for me, I'll need about a month for this) The 2 week residential course can then be used to polish up on the way the questions are presented and becoming slick with the whizz wheel etc etc.

So, just to say to those of you who are resolutely plodding on while the wippersnappers pass you by, remember that you are not the only one finding it hard. There are probably more of us than them!

Well, thats what I think any way. If you think different....good for you, it takes all sorts.

Bye now.