PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2010, 07:15
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRC: Well done that man!

When I saw the pilot exiting the Sycamore in this clip HELICOPTER PARTY - British Pathe I instantly knew he looked familiar and, lo and behold, thanks to TRC we've identified it was Pete Wilson, ex-Bristol test pilot.

Pete Wilson

"Peter Wilson served in India and Burma during WWII. He was an Army pilot, one of six to be selected to be trained on helicopters in November 1946 on Sikorsky Hoverfly 1’s. An Experimental Flight for trials with the Army was formed using Hoverfly 2’s in April 1947, ceasing Operations in January 1948.

In December 1948, Peter Wilson was appointed the Army Test Pilot at the Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment (AFEE) at RAF Beaulieu in Hampshire. In September 1950 he became the first Army Helicopter Test Pilot at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at Boscombe Down.

He voluntarily retired from the Army and joined the Bristol Aeroplane Company as a Test Pilot at Filton, Bristol. He was involved in Testing all the Bristol Helicopters, and was heavily involved with the Sycamore and Belvedere.

In 1960 Bristol Helicopters were taken over by Westland Aircraft. During his time with Westland, he flew the SA330 Puma, SA341 Gazelle and the Seaking. He continued to fly at Yeovil until 26th August 1974. In all 25 years as a Military and Civil Helicopter Test Pilot. He was awarded the Queen’s Award for Valuable Services in the Air on January 1st 1974".

While looking up about Pete, who visited my home together with my godfather on numerous occasions during my childhood, I also came across details of a certain Charles Hosegood aka 'Sox' who was another good friend of my godfather. If memory serves .. Sox, Pete and my godfather regularly got up to no good!

Sox Hosegood

"During the war Charles “Sox” Hosegood served in the Fleet Air Arm,being appointed to the first armed merchant cruiser to be fitted with a catapult. He was among the first British helicopter pilots during the latter stages of World War 2 to be sent for helicopter training in the USA.

On his return to the UK in mid-1944, he served with various experimental units and on loan to the RAF at Beaulieu,where the Experimental Unit originated.

He joined the Bristol Aeroplane Co in 1948,to assist in helicopter test and development. “Sox” became the Chief Helicopter Test Pilot soon after the start of the development of the Sycamore.

After perfecting the Sycamore as the first British certified helicopter,he flew many hours in the company’s Mk.3 demonstrator (popularly known by its last two registration letters “SX” before going on to test the tandem-rotor Type 173 (the first British twin-engine helicopter) and the Type 192 Belvedere.

The Belvedere, a forerunner of the modern Chinook tandem rotor helicopter, was designed after the BAC Helicopter Division relocated to Weston-super-Mare and was first flown at the local airfield in 1957 by ’ Sox’. He displayed XG447 at the Farnborough show in 1958".

My godfather flew as a test pilot with both Bristol and Westlands on a wide variety of aircraft including the Sycamore and type 192 Belvedere.

There is a photo (Aug 2004) of Pete and Sox at the Helicopter Museum checking up on a Belvedere restoration project but the image has refused to load but can be seen here: Restoration of Bristol 192 Belvedere, XG452, Page 2

It seems Pete Wilson passed away earlier this year. RIP dear friend. He was always very kind to me as a young boy taking considerable time to explain in 'childspeak' the novelty of helicopters.

Also ... 1953 in Switzerland ...

"19 September - The Bristol Sycamore Mk. 4 G-AMWI piloted by Peter Wilson arrives in Switzerland from England for a series of de-monstrations. During the trials, organized in the period between the 21th and the 27th of September, the helicopter flies people and goods, and takes part in an exercise organized by the Swiss life-saving society on the lake of Thun. The last day of the de-monstration Wilson lands on the Sanetschpass at an height of 2'000 meters, where a power line is being built".

Photo of the visit by AMWI to Switzerland can be see here: heli-archive.ch: 1947 - 1960

On the same page can be seen a photo of Alan Bristow flying an S-51 G-AJHW on helicopter trials. Alan and my godfather flew together in Antartica.

Photo of the type 192 signed by Sox. Full size photo can be seen here: Sox+Hosegood+bristol+173.jpg (image)

TRC - again my thanks.

S.

ps: Tried posting images of both Pete and Sox but they failed - PPRuNe's forum software seems to be deleting anything with the words ' b l o g s p o t'.

However, for those who are keen, re-type the following link into your url: http://thetartanterror.********.com/...1_archive.html .. but substituting the asterisks for the word b l o g s p o t (without the spaces of course)

Last edited by Savoia; 14th Oct 2010 at 07:36. Reason: trying to give assistance to those wanting to view photos of historical information and which involves circumventing PPRuNe's forum software security devices