PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cattle Mustering incl Training, Job Prospects (!) etc etc
Old 15th Aug 2002, 21:24
Autorotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve76

Actually I have to correct you regarding having cattle experience. I have just spent the last week with HeliMuster at VRD in NT and they WILL take trainee pilots (Slaves they are called) that havent worked with cattle before. In fact one of the new owners of the company didnt come from a rural background.

It is preferred but not a must have. The attitude is the big thing and safety orientated is the other, as well as the low level endorsement and also an R-22 safety course attendance. Since the new owners took over, John and Mark, they have emphasised the safety aspect and have some fantastic plans for the future. They are now flying 14 R-22s and a sole Bell 47.

I went out with them both in the 47 and the 22 and its amazing what these guys can do with an aircraft. Email me and will give you a run down if you like on the modern day Heli Muster.

For those wanting to get into the mustering game, my suggestion is go with one of the bigger companies such as Heli Muster, but they wont let you go flying solo with the cattle until you have had 500 hrs dual from one of the training pilots.

Its a great industry and yes they do operate in the dead mans curve most of the time but John and team really emphasise emergency procedures training and they do a lot of it, again and again and again. Thats why John has over 19500 hrs mustering and the majority of his pilots, except the young ones, have over 8000 hrs.

Hope that helps.

Autorotate.