PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK R44 Lease back rate
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2010, 15:43
206 jock

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If i'm to lease the aircraft back I would probably stipulate that the use would be for commercial work, or SFH with over 20-30hrs P1 on type (rules me out ), or something to that effect, whereby there would be no reason for performing autos & hydraulics off practice, hopefully minimising the potential hazards to the A/C but I appreciate I would never have the same peace of mind as keeping it at home
Well, that's the problem. Putting conditions on the club's use will inevitably mean they use it less (and to be honest, they'll probably 'look after' the owners who are less 'fussy' when it comes to first dibs on the SFH and commercial stuff too).

So you'll find yourself in the 'is it worth it' camp very quickly. After all, you own a helicopter to get places quickly, not to drive to an airport, fanny about there as they have forgotten you're coming to collect it and left it with no fuel....all the time paying through the nose for insurance.

Either bend over, take one for the team and tell them to put lots of hours on at as good a rate as you can get (all the while hoping those students don't overpitch it and wreck the spindle bearings...again); or keep it in your barn, enjoy the lower insurance and worry about the fact you're not flying 200 hours a year and 12 years doesn't seem so far away now, does it....

Whatever you do, make sure you do the calculation on how many hours of use the school will have to use it for to pay for the uplift on insurance. That's money straight out of your account.

Welcome to the world of pain that is helicopter ownership.