PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotor downwash and light fixed wing
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2010, 06:19
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Hover taxiing past light fixed wings?

A quick question to you clever rotary wing chappies:

Three times this year, whilst out and about in something plank-shaped, I've found myself desperately hanging onto aeroplane / controls whilst somebody has decided to hover taxi a light to medium helicopter straight past me sending primary flying controls jumping around all over the place and on one occasion had me seriously concerned I was going to lose the aeroplane.

From my first aeronautics degree umpty years ago, where I did a lot of helicopter aerodynamics, I'm well aware of why this was really stupid on their part and that I'm fairly lucky not to have had a damaged aeroplane.

However, what I don't know is what is taught to helicopter pilots on the subject? Can anybody enlighten me? - better still give me a reference that I can print onto good stiff cardboard and shove somewhere into the next helicopter pilot to do this.

G

N.B. Irritatingly, each time it's been just after I shut down, and whilst the helicopter pilot was taxiing out so my opportunities were not there to "discuss" this with the helicopter pilots in question. And before anybody asks, yes each time they had a clearly visible alternate taxi route well clear of parked fixed wings - I hadn't just been a prat and parked right next to a helicopter.