PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any recruitment likely at Easy?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2010, 23:26
Major Cleve Saville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSF - easyJet a 'dripping roast'? I have had 2 brief flirtations with easyJet. The first back in the mid 90's when it was a 2 aircraft operation which was very enjoyable. The second in the 21st century which, on the level of plain old fashioned employer - employee relationship level was not.

Call me old school Billy Bunterish but just being a number on the end of a telephone ordered about by someone you have never met seems rather impersonal. It is hard to get truly engaged and feel part of a company like easyJet or Ryanair etc.

These are my impressions:

EasyJet is a sales and marketing company which just happens to be selling airline tickets the employees (pilots crew) are a means of production nothing more or less.

The smart cadets realise that a career with any low cost carrier is not much of a career. Basically 40 years flying the same sorts of flights on the same or similar type. The smart cadets will do their sums and move on. And quite frankly they deserve better after the investment they have made.

The management of easyJet know that their pilots have a 'life expectancy' of about 7 years, they expect a high turnover. This is a result of the business model. It will never change. They could choose to be like SouthWest they don't, why? Because the people who run easyJet (and Ryanair) have no interest in or understanding of aviation. Whereas pilots are the opposite, in it for the flying not interested in sales or marketing.

Seniority lists will not change this, a free market will at least ensure market rate for the job.

I work with a few ex-easyJet pilots and quite frankly if this is a 'dripping roast' we would rather be a vegetarians.

Do I want to work for any low cost carrier - no. There is more to life than being a number ordered about by a spotty youth on a telephone.

Life is short, quality of life is important and I, and alot of others did not get into aviation for this type of lifestyle.

I work for a company where I at least get to say good morning to all the staff eye to eye. Where we treat each other with mutual respect and I feel I am valued and a part of the organisation.

Oh and NSF I do know you.