PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Near Death Incident
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2010, 15:19
EMIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Semantics

Quote from Strella
I have done many departures from Delhi. From RWY 29 the ATC normally does not give a SID. The normal clearance is always to climb to 2600 feet on QNH. Never , ever have I been given or heard from others any clearance lower than 2600( The MSA at VIDP).
I doubt the accuracy of the above story.

Quote from Capt Turbo
I can only confirm that since we started ops on 29/11, the standard departure clearance has been "RWY heading to 1700`, turn left (right) to heading ... and climb to 2600`, further by radar." Despite being totally unimpressed by Indian ATC I have never heard of such a low level off. Could AI have misread the clearance (it comes late, of course).

Strella - so perhaps the initial CLIMB clearance was to 2.600 ft, the 1.700 ft only being the passing through altitude at which to start the turn? Just as reading text can give so many surprisingly different interpretations, so can a piece of verbal instruction, as short as the line from Capt Turbo's post, conjure up different views as to what ATC expects the crew to do.

As to the reported, at 200 ft, engage autopilot, my gosh, don't pilots enjoy flying anymore?