PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada may pull troops from Dubai base
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2010, 10:03
pool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protecting your own countries interests is pretty much the mandate of any government.
Yes, agreed, applies to any country, even the UAE ...

I don't recall Canada ever signing a free trade agreement with the UAE (a la NAFTA) so waving that flag is irrelevant
I didn't mention "agreements", I mentioned the boasting of own values like "free trade". I agree that when it comes down to agreements it gets tougher.

You quoted me: As long as AC could fly into the UAE with as many flights as they want, a restriction for UAE carriers to Canada or any other place is ridiculous
... and asked by what logic. Well, if you would be fair enough to quote the whole statement (the completion reads: if set up in the name of consumer interests) , the logic pops up: In the consumers interest. More flights, more and cheaper options.

And the UAE has definitely been the one to expand the debate beyond landing rights by using Minhad as a pawn.
Agree, and mentioned it before

Canada denying the UAE overflight privileges would have far greater consequences for Emirates than the UAE diverting one Canadian Forces aircraft

Agree again, however there is a big and distinct difference between overflights of civil aircraft and military ones. Denying traffic rights is far easier than denying overflight rights for civil traffic.

I completely understand Canada's reaction, but is is better than the UAE's politics?