PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hands to Flying Stations Scimitars and Sea Vixens
Old 12th Oct 2010, 09:29
goofer3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again from "Speechless Two" in thread in my previous post;

"Scimitars certainly did have tanker capability. During the Beira blockade off Mozambique in 1966 all fixed-wing flying from the carriers involved (Ark Royal and Eagle) was carried out without land diversion availability. On 10 May a Scimitar tanker was used in earnest when an 890 Squadron Sea Vixen from Ark got into difficulties. I can't remember the exact detail of the events but one engine had failed and as a secondary result they had a substantial fuel leak some considerable distance from Ark.
A Scimitar tanker was scrambled but the Vixen was unable to take on fuel and the other engine then stopped as well. The Observer tried to eject at 6000ft but the ejection system failed. The pilot rolled the aircraft twice -without engines - to try and help the Observer bale out manually. Sadly this was unsuccessful and the pilot ejected so low above the water that the Scimitar pilot was convinced both crew had died as he hadn't seen the pilot eject. I seem to recall the ejection took place about 40 miles from Ark. I was first on scene but sadly there was only one survivor to winch up.
The Vixen pilot received the George Medal for his amazing efforts in rolling his unpowered Vixen twice to try and help his Observer to escape. That same evening we lost a Gannet - all 3 crew safe - when it broke off its nosewheel leg on landing, missed the arrester wires as a result, and went off the deck into the sea. Interesting times!"

I was fortunate enough to work frequently in Flyco, (Only in the background I might add), and remember the push to get the Scimitar tanker airborne. Regarding the Gannet, I was standing in my previously mentioned spot on the sponson below the rounddown. It was a very dark evening IIRC and the ship was pitching quite a bit. With no horizon visible watching the Gannets lights as it approached I seemed to be looking down more times than up,(Just to emphasize, he was steady, I was going up and down), and decided it was wiser to vacate. I moved to forward of the 4.5 turret on the starboard side and watched from there. I believe it made 2 or 3 attempts but whatever in the end there was a lot of expensive noises and over it went. As I was below deck level I didn't see it actually hit, and with the possibility of prop bits flying about it was safer not to anyway. The rescue helicopter was soon on the scene and as you know the crew were OK . I think one of them felt he was being ignored and set of a flare, no doubt to make sure they knew where he was.