PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK safety culture
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2010, 09:16
White Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can add that little chestnut;

Guest worker...

Back to the Go-Around comment a couple of posts back - it was found in my last airline by an audit that if the go-around procedure was briefed as part of the arrival briefing it was invariably flown perfectly. A couple of wayward incidents in which one of my colleagues bust the go-around altitude by 1500' showed that the lack of a brief for this manouevre caused the hash, primarily through incorrect mode management...
I think the go-around brief is one of the most important parts of the briefing but gets lost in all the CTWOF guff!!!

And indeed, the MAN guys were badly and unfairly treated. But WHY put in the arrival runway before you even take-off on what could be a very long sector? That creates a mind-set - far better to put the runway in the FMS when you receive the first arrival ATIS shortly before descent. All the nonsense about fuel planning is ridiculous as it'll only make a couple of hundred kilos difference by the end of a flight where (at least on the Airbus) you've made a few hundred kilos of fuel anyway...