PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Problems - Forced landing Video
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2010, 08:54
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat
Would that depend at all on whether you know you've got zero oil pressure or you only know the oil pressure gauge us reading zero? Do oil pressure gauges ever fail? - shame to write off an aircraft and hurt the inhabitants for a gauge failure.

OK, the oil on the windscreen and the engine behaviour made it clear in due course in this case, but if it was, to start with at least, just a gauge indication?
Absolutely. Let's say there was also an oil temperature gauge - If that stayed put, i'd be inclined to believe the pressure gauge has failed, and act accordingly. I can see many resons for not attempting a 'controlled' landing before the engine fails, for instance it could go at a critical point when you have no options; It was a straight question - No irony nor asked to support a particular point of view, though I appreciate that's not always the case.

I'm afraid I'm with frontlefthamster however, Yes, he did a good job, all ended well, tough situation - I suspect a yak glides like a brick. Many things done well, and to be learned from/tucked away for future use, kudos to the guy. But that doesn't mean it's the perfect example, and that there aren't other things to be considered.