PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sportcruiser - Opinions?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2010, 08:51
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“think you should be considering MPG rather than LPH.”

Possibly, but over the last 20 years or so I have found I fly, budget permitting, 65 – 95 hours a year. If I have a faster aircraft, I fly further, but the hours do not change at all. This rule has worked on aircraft with speeds ranging from 80kn to 138kn. would it apply to 150kn? I think it would, IF I could afford the fuel, but there is no way I could, even at current pricing. When you fly for fun there is almost never any ware you have to go. Speed increases the options or the number of places you can go in a day. Again, I find anything less than 120kn is too restrictive and increases the risk of getting stranded by weather.

For me the only big advantage of the RV over the MCR is I could do some gentle aerobatics. Aeros might reduce the number of hours I fly, but it would also push the fuel burn up significantly, so probably no help. The equation would look very different if I was comparing a SC with an RV. I like touring France and on a hot bumpy day in France a SC would be down to 80kn if you did not want to replace all your fillings. The RV on the other hand would provide an acceptable ride at speed.

Rod1