PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 70 Years Grounded
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 21:07
TinKicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An aviation medical effectively saved me.........

Military medical for flight crew did not detect a heart murmur despite the medical being relatively long and comprehensive. Did not make it through the interview board so no military flying but I still wanted to fly.

Civil medical, some 6 months later and blow me down I get told that I have a murmur and need to have it checked out. Dr said very easy to hear but not to worry about it until we find out why.......

Cardiologist does tests and discovers bicuspid aortic valve (should be a tricuspid) and says that I need to be careful with dental work/surgery/etc as I can introduce infections that will base themselves on that valve and really cause me grief (SBE - sub-acute bacterial endocarditis - I have subsequently seen the results of what happens (not me thankfully) - not nice at all and very debilitating).

DoA (as it was in those days) is told all about this and say no probs as long as you don't develop an infection in the valve. Class 1 medical issued no restrictions no problems.

I therefore advise all my dentists (have dental work and check up each year) and Doctors before surgery (have had a number of ops) that I need antibiotics before they start the procedure to provide coverage against infections. They all give me antibiotics and thank me for letting them know.

Had I not have done an civilian aviation medical then I probably would not have found out about this and taken the appropriate precautions.

All this happened 33 years ago and I still fly and hold a class 1 medical certificate.

Tinkicker