PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Near Death Incident
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 20:59
Capt Turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1700`

I can only confirm that since we started ops on 29/11, the standard departure clearance has been "RWY heading to 1700`, turn left (right) to heading ... and climb to 2600`, further by radar." Despite being totally unimpressed by Indian ATC I have never heard of such a low level off. Could AI have misread the clearance (it comes late, of course).

"All aircraft: Maintain your current altitude and hold at present position"- Yes. "Increase your rate of descent (while below the G/S)" - Yes, but not "Climb and maintain 1700`in the turn", so something does not hold water....

As for the reporting system here: Veery goood on paper, for IOSA audits, for obtaining route permissions, not so good for "learning by (otherīs) mistakes". My first (and only) report directly to DGCA - when I was very new to India - taught me it was the no-no way to do things in India. You report stuff to your closest superior, who will file it in the appropriate manner (vertically), and he will thank you for your contribution to Flight Safety. On a good day he will send out a memo to everybody saying that you will be severy punished if deviating from SOPs .

FAA was right; it is ultimately the responsibility of DCGA to ensure a safe operation of Indian aircraft. By letting DGCA put wool in their eyes, even FAA guys have failed.

The fact remains that insisting on a First World flight safety standard or training standard would be the same as closing shop tomorrow in Indian civil aviation, and NOBODY -in India or abroad - is interested in that.
So keep your fingers crossed and NEVER lock the door behind you if you are out for a pee (the recent 22.000`plunge of AI may happen again).