PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HSBC professional studies loans advice pls fellow debtors?
Old 11th Oct 2010, 20:29
Gbengusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello!

Sefson SA

Hello.

Just to add my humble advise, I took out a professional studies loan from HSBC back in 2004 for just under 50k. Like you I had to defer my repayments and had an absolute nightmare trying to arrange this as everytime I would go into HSBC there was no one who knew anything about the loan due to high turnover of staff and the fact that they no longer do this type of loan.

Because the repayments will be delayed your whole loan will have to be restuctured because the final amount you will be repaying and the repayment period has changed due to a longer repayment holiday. As a result the bank will have to re-structure the loan and create new paperwork. That was my experience.

My experience with HSBC wasn't great when it came to dealing with the loan as no one in my branch really seemed to have a clue BUT there is no way out of trying to repay it. So dont even waste your time and energy trying to look for loop holes. I'm sure you'll find plenty but HSBC simply will not roll over and allow the loan to go like that. (to be honest I thought the same thing at the time!)

What I would advise is try and build up a good relationship with your personal banker or the person that arranges your loan and they can waive certain bank fees and charges and could even credit your account for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

You should be able to review the loan once a year when you sit down with the bank and go over the loan (interest and repayments). My understanding is if you want to make changes at the annual review then you wont have any bank charges but at any other time you probably will, but again a good relationship with you personal banker really is the key.

If you like you can PM me and I'll be happy to help in any way I can. I know the repayments are quite daunting and can seem overwhelming but hang in there and keep you head up. After a lot of frustration and disappointment I now have a job flying the 737NG and have been repaying my loan for over 3 years. Dont give up.