PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA issues warning on Li-On batteries
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 20:27
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guppy - Where do I start?
That's entirely up to you, but I strongly suggest that you start by attempting to understand your subject material. You'll look far less foolish if you know what it is that you're talking about.

You don't.

The UPS aircraft was US registered so the FARs apply no matter what its departure point.
As you're clearly not aware, I'll allow you some leeway.

While US operators are never permitted deviation from US regulation save for an emergency, US operators are always obligated to the legal requirements of every jurisdiction through which they pass, per convention.

Shipping out of Dubai isn't established or regulated by the US HMR, but is done in accordance to international convention. When a shipper places cargo aboard a US aircraft while operating internationally, the cargo carrier is not responsible for ensuring that the shipping has been done correctly, and will not open overpacks to verify or correct labeling packing, etc. That packaging will have been done in accordance with the local requirements. Therefore, when a US carrier picks up freight internationally, don't start whining about DOT regulation...it only paints you in your true light, as one who hasn't a clue whence he or she speaks.

Its true FedEx has put a lot of effort into fire protected freight containers and I did not comment on their SMS, which I am actually very familiar with.
Ignoring your grammar, I doubt you are familiar with the safety management, despite your claims. FedEx and UPS are by far the best, biggest, and most advanced freight carriers out there. Their operations set the standard for efficiency, safety, quality, and reputation, globally.

Those in this industry know and understand this. You don't, which further reinforces the fact that you really have no idea what you're talking about. This should really go without saying.

However the number of US cargo accidents is actually pretty high.
Not at all. Never the less, you're doubtless like much of the rest of the jealous world, anxious to blame your own problems on the US, or diminish them by slighting or demeaning the United States.

The US holds a very high standard in aviation operations. Then again, where a pilot in the US might require 5,000 hours of experience to be competitive for a position, many European pilots might require 250 hours to be competitive for the same...you really want to talk about standards?

US cargo operations are greater in scope, number, hours, and reach than any other, to say noting of hours flown, cargo carried, etc. US cargo operations are not the issue here. Lithium batteries are.

I won't comment on the irony of your statements after an accident
That is well. You have no need to embarrass yourself further.