PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 16:58
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am basically an F-35B fan
That'll help with vertical landings, then.
(Sorry 00, I really couldn't resist).

The carriers have huge PR value, PN's idea will doubtless multiply out a thousandfold, and we'll only see it's a house of cards if we get into a conflict (like 1982) where we rely solely on ourselves... so there's every possibility we'll get away with it. In the event that sombody calls our bluff, it will be a disaster.,,I suspect we are about to rely on a bit of good luck.

Meanwhile the biggest threat to the UK is probably terrorist in origin, and to combat that we need something like a coastguard, lots of spooks (preferably sans Oxbridge accents) and tons of Humint. Bring on the carriers, they'll be absolutely perfect for that role, provided Bed Linen and his chums like cocktail parties....

Thanks Jacko

BTW Squirrell - P De A is approx 30 feet shorter than an Invincible, with a ski jump, Harriers and Helos - in other words they bear more than a passing resemblance to each other, so given Int that places one closer to 'where we found it' than the other, I'd assume it was a fair bit of recce... ie the ship type was recognised, probably at a hell of a range. Short of going alongside and reading the pennant number what do you suggest?

Last edited by davejb; 11th Oct 2010 at 17:04. Reason: Squirrell shooting