PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 2
Thread: SOUTHEND - 2
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 13:18
compton3bravo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a few thoughts from someone who flew from Southend in 1961 and wishes it well for the future BUT I cannot see it getting enough passengers to make the investment worthwhile. I hope the management of the Stobart Group - who I have a great admiration for - but who are not probably not aviation minded or experienced realise that if they move the Aer Arrean routes from Luton that practically all those who use the services live or have relations in the Beds/Herts/North London area and will not travel down to Southend. Also as has been said the Isle of Man-London City services is losing pax and that is a business flight so no realisation of increased pax there as Southend is further out.
Also everybody seems to be making great play of the rail service into Central London from Southend - so has Luton and London City.
Sorry to be so negative but in my honest opinion I cannot see it paying its way. It will get a few services i.e. more Jersey and possibly an Amsterdam but not much else I am afraid. I do hope I am proved wrong because I like to see all airports flourish but in this cut throat world some will not.