PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada may pull troops from Dubai base
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 12:37
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
six7driver...........pulling out of the UAE may well be to Cdn military's advantage for one reason--if the country they are based in uses that base as 'trading chip' or negotiating tool then the military is better off somewhere that is more stable!!!!

If the situation in Afghanistan were different at the moment this situation may well put soldiers in danger. Better to move somewhere were they can't be blackmailed, somewhere stable.

Could you imagine if Canada told they US they were pulling their commitment because of the softwood lumber dispute!!???

Secondly---I got that the one poster was poking fun about the Cdn military. But go back and read his post--it certainly could be misconstrued by some since it was NOT clear that it was tongue in cheek. Also look at how quickly those 'enraged' posts STOPPED when it was realized that it was a joke.

Finally, your argument that EK should be permitted more flights to serve 27,000 Cdn's in the UAE is ridiculous. Canada's air policy has to do with the 35 million people that live in Canada as well and with the service they need.

This situation is so much more complicated then it appears to be. It is not about protecting AC though I know AC is lobbying hard for their own goals. The cry that consumers would be better served if EK was allowed in shows only one side of a complicated arguement.

Yes, people in YVR and YYC would now be able to fly via DXB to many destinations. But how many of those destinations could they reach in 2 stops via alternative means? More IMPORTANTLY--how many flights and thus choice to the consumer would be LOST if EK was allowed in??

Many of the Euro direct flights from cities like YVR, YYC etc rely on through traffic to cities beyond the initial European destination. In most cases it ranges from between 10% of 15% of the pax travelling onwards beyond Europe. That direct YYC-Euro flight would be uneconomical without those 10-15% of pax and would be cancelled. So now you have a situation were passengers in those cities would LOSE the option for a direct flight to many Euro destinations if that traffic was siphoned off by EK. Along with that lose of choice would be a potential for lose of jobs.

This is only one example and this is why Transport Canada and the Cdn Gov't will not allow unfettered access. Don't forget this is a CONSERVATIVE government!!!!! The big business, free trade, party. I don't believe that Air Canada has the sway or connections to keep foreign airlines out. This is a decision made by the gov't at the highest levels.

So the cry that 'free competition' should be allowed etc etc is disingenuous. There are so many facets to the arguement and it is so deep that what I find frustrating is when people, like you, mix into the argument some cry and hue about some posters being anti UAE etc.

I like the UAE, I like living here as does my family. I like working for EK. I wish we did fly to YVR and YYC and had additional flights to YYZ. But I can't berate the Cdn gov't for their decisions.

Canada has open skies and bilaterals with with dozens of countries. Its basis for making agreements is that both sides have to benefit (Singapore airlines found teh same when they tried). Allowing EK unrestricted access, they argue, provides large benefit to UAE and little to Canada. Free market, open competition and capitalism does not mean a free for all. Those who claim that competition is good and that this is competition fail to grasp the argument made paragraphs ago about what would be lost. And that is only the tip of the argument.