PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concept Tri-Jet Airliner, need advice/aid
Old 11th Oct 2010, 11:40
raptorva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concept Tri-Jet Airliner, need advice/aid

Hello,

I have been around this site for many years and yet I have never made an account until tonight.

I've been designing over a few years in my free time a concept tri-jet airliner, the EC-30, in the 100-200 seat category for use primarily in the tropics and other 'hot and high' environments. The aircraft is powered by three relatively low powered engines with the belief in my view that it could use three smaller more efficient (and quieter) turbofans as opposed to two larger units.

The center engine is mainly to provide additional thrust during cruise and other critical flight phases where the MTOW is high. I also have in mind a variation of the aircraft, which I deemed the EC-20, to be an almost identical aircraft but without the center engine, therefore more designed for shorter routes. This adaptation I am considering could be just a simple design with the engine removed though I am skeptic whether that would work.

The EC-30 is also to be made primarily of composites with possible flow-molding used as the construction technique though I am not sure if it is possible to manufacture an entire airframe using this technique.

I have a drawing of this concept, here and I must apologize for the poor quality of it. I am no real artist and that was done with a simple ruler and set square on an A2 sheet of paper that, due to its size, I could not scan in and had to photograph it instead.

I am curious therefore as to your opinion on the feasibility of a design such as this, whether it would be practical, and other ways that I could improve the design or get someone to do proper renderings for this airliner.

Best Regards,
~Raptorva