PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocontrol Testing and Interviews
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 09:08
dcoliv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Anybody know what kind of scores you would need to be achieveing in the skytest examples to pass the FEAST?
Greetings,

I cannot speak from my own personal experience because I did not use the SkyTest software (too expensive). What I can tell you is:

1 - it is perfectly possible to pass the FEAST and SDM tests without previous training, as many people in this forum have done that (myself included);

2 - in my opinion, FEAST and SDM test different things. Whereas FEAST tests whether you have some basic skills, like spatial awareness (distances/headings/angles/cubes), quick reaction time (bars+balls), rule adherence (planning exercise) and the ability to adapt to new rules (the exercise with geometric shapes/numbers, etc.), SDM test is all about how much can you learn in 90 minutes. They do not expect you to reach a 100% score. Instead, I believe they're looking if you have what it takes to learn what they want to teach you in the future.

3 - obviously, it is also possible to pass the tests by previously training. I am not against those who do this, on the contrary actually - I think it shows initiative, willingness to pass and motivation. A good friend of mine, who also applied, bought the SkyTest CD and trained really hard. He told me that the FEAST test was pretty much easier than the one provided in the software. I think that, after some weeks training, he got 100% in the distances/headings/angles test, 100% in the english comprehension test, and between 50% and 80% in the others, with the exception of the cubes, which were significantly lower. Still, he passed the FEAST test.

4 - Regarding the SDM test, he was pretty nervous for some weeks, because he could not reach a score higher than 50% on level 1. That's because the SDM test in the SkyTest software is a lot harder than the actual SDM test. Strips appear constantly and most ETAs are separated by less than 5 minutes. In the actual test, the ETAs are much further apart (e.g. 15:31 and 16:10), which facilitates how quick you can look for conflicts for example. At the end of the SDM test, he had found 7 local conflicts, 0 opposite conflicts, but he never had a warning, that is, he never removed a strip too early or marked an already marked conflict, so that must have given him a good score, because it shows accuracy. Of course, one can argue that his accuracy was due to his training and not to his natural ability, but I do think that what counts is how you are able to learn - either by natural gift or by working hard. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day what matters is that you have done a good job.

I hope this post helps answering some of your questions, and best of luck in the future!