PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK safety culture
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 07:44
FUSE PLUG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Studi,

I belive many of us here think (or thought) like you. The reality is that our safety culture is more of a fear culture. EK Flight Ops would not want it any other way and it is why we get ASR's like "Almost unstable approach"... ALMOST UNSTABLE? WTF! Is that worthy of a Safety report at your airline?

Example:
I did a go around from 300ft the other night in DXB because some turbo prop took his sweet ole time exiting the runway. Before passing through 1000ft I found myself thinking "I hope I did that exactly right, I have a kid on the way." That is the last thing I should be thinking about shortly after pressing TOGA. Did I think like that before joining EK? Never. It was never an issue. Before I would just fly the manuver (manouvre) and focus on the next approach.

We do have a reporting culture here, but a reporting culture does not always lead to a safe airline when fear is the motivator for filing.

I'm sure there are going to be people who do not agree, but trust me, this palpable fear is alive and well.

FP