PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 70 Years Grounded
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2010, 06:01
Jober.as.a.Sudge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm quite cynical about the medical profession in general -and the aviation practitioners in particular. It is my belief that many of that profession over-diagnose (note: not necessarily mis-diagnose) in an effort to limit their exposure to malpractice suit. In some cases, the practitioners use their profession to espouse a political stance for either a perceived personal advantage (notoriety? public profile?) or to advance whatever "politically correct" public stance they espouse personally or on behalf of a professional body -the NZWN Dr. that weighed into the NZWB wheels-up debate a couple of years ago being a prime case-in-point. Whilst what he had to say may have had merit in the event that landing went disastrously wrong, it was entirely inappropriate to suggest that potential medical considerations after the fact should have a bearing on the flight-crew's management of the event.

Aviation has long been at the mercy of the medical profession, I have no doubt that many promising careers have been curtailed due a surfeit of caution from Dr's. -as I have no doubt at all that the Regulator cynically uses withdrawl of medical certification to terminate careers for whatever "reasons" they deem appropriate. Maybe you just pissed-off an FOI one day long ago...