PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any recruitment likely at Easy?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 23:20
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A number of points to consider. First to Major Sabille's point. I think that seniority is the only way to govern the airline industry fairly. I absolutely do not want TREs from other airline's turning up here to take command slots that belong to our own FOs. Everyone knows the deal at companies like BA - turn up there and absolutely regardless of your past experience you go to the bottom of the pool. That is the principal reason I would never join them as I would wait forever for a command. Nonetheless, I commend them for looking after their own guys and have no problem whatsoever with the system they operate - those are the rules and everyone knows it.

Regarding the issue of the quality of CTC/Oxford 'cadets', there is much foolishness spoken about the legendary '200-hour' pilot. We were all there once and then only for one flight - after that we had 201 hours and so it went on. A low-houred pilot is by definition a low-experience pilot with all that such a situation brings. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you accept that is a journey through which they must travel. They are almost invariably keen, intelligent, capable and well-motivated. Many low-houred pilots have significant problems with consitstency of landings but there are strick limits (15kts x-wind for example) on what they are allowed to take-on. The question arises as to what makes a good airline pilot. I would suggest 5 things - aptitude, training, knowledge, skill and experience. The first 2 are vital to start off with. After that the last three build up over a period of time. We should not expect that to be instant. So as one who flies all the time with low-houred pilots, I always enjoy it but do not expect too much. They are great folk to be around, but have much to learn - that does not mean they are not competent, but it does mean they are in a learning process that requires more supervision than would be the case with a pilot who had 3000 hours. There is nothing wrong, surprising or alarming about that - it is just a stage through which we all once travelled.