PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann
Thread: Aer Arann
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 20:26
bananamanuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello EI-BUD

I like your comments on here, you offer a balanced point of view.

Generally..

I read this forum regularly and the other airline forum and it always amazes me by the number of comments from people that think they could run an airline better. I've said before that RE have punched above their weight for a long time they've had a very tough time with competition on their key routes. I really had a lot of sympathy for Ryanair years ago as they launched their flights in the face of the legacies. In some ways they're too big for their boots. Their predatory practices in relation to Aer Arann are bad.

Aer Arann supports jobs and local connectivity that is something that should be celebrated.

Paidraig O Ceidgh is Irish through and through, again something that should be celebrated. I hope that he remains involved and committed to RE.

The Aer Lingus Regional franchise is a good development, but I personally hope that Aer Arann brand is also retained, albeit with a lick of paint here and there.

I do think the latest story about Stobart is a very interesting development. If true this could be incredibly good for Southend Airport - actually a destination I've always thought could be good for RE. FlyBe go there on one route. There's no reason why RE couldn't fly there and retain Luton, I don't think these airports really compete due to distance.

For me, Aer Arann needs to retain it's 'Irishness' it's a great brand with a lot of good people employed both directly and indirectly and especially whilst Ireland's economy is shaky it's something that should be celebrated.