PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - when should i file vfr flight plan?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 18:05
BossEyed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BackPacker
The full submission is not necessary when entering Controlled Airspace
That is a dangerous sweeping statement.
BackPacker, you're quoting me, and it is not.

My response was to the question specifically asked:

Originally Posted by cessna310
When should/must i file vfr flight plan while flying in UK?
What is, or is not, required in The Netherlands is entirely irrelevant to his/her query.

A couple of other points:

douglas.lindsay's report that Glasgow have requested online FP filing for CAS transit is absolutely right - but this was reported by them (via NOTAM)as being a temporary measure only whilst new systems bed in. I don't think this has changed - has it? In any event, it is currently local to them only.

A number of people on this thread have mentioned that a FPL is useful if you go missing en-route. Yes, but all should be aware that overdue action will only be initiated in the UK if a "responsible person" triggers it. If you are flying to/from many (the majority) of the smaller fields and strips in the UK, that responsible person may need to be somebody you explicitly nominate and task with undertaking that the warning role. Unlike elsewhere in the World, overdue action may well NOT be triggered just because you are late, and you need to understand this if you intend to make use of a Flight Plan as SAR insurance.