PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Altitude Trade
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 15:28
ice2x01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Altitude Trade

Hello,

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify the following subject for me:

As far as the wind altitude trade is concerned: The way I understand it is that it is basically the trade of optimum altitude for best specefic range for a new altitude which may have winds that will increase range moreso than will decrease specefic range (fuel mileage essentially). Is this correct?

What is the Wind Altitude Trade Factor? I understand there is a table you look at to determine whether or not the new Altitude Wind gains will be better for range or not and you determine this by using the factor from this table, but can someone please explain how it is used?

In the following example:

Cruising speed LRC at FL 330 (Optimum Altitude)
Gross weight 42 Tons (Step Climb Weight)
Head wind component 100 Kts. (Jet Stream)

If you have a wind reports (from another aircraft) informing you that the head wind component is 110 Kts. at FL 370 and only 50 Kts. at FL 290 what would you do?

Wind factor for FL 370 0
Wind factor for FL 330 10
Wind factor for FL 290 38

Flying at optimum altitude and optimum weight is the target every pilot wants to achieve. In the above situation, you are ready for step climb to FL 370 (2000 feet a bove optimum)
How is FL370 2000ft above optimum if optimum is FL330? Or do they mean that FL350 will become optimum by time the aircraft reaches FL370 due to weight reduction?

Thank you very much, I would appreciate a reply asap as I have an interview in a few days.