PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Near Death Incident
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 05:36
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The current flap limit speed is set by the FMS as the limit speed, so flap overspeed protection IS provided.
Thank you Intruder. Am I correct in understanding that the autothrust does not "see", on its own, the flap limiting speeds and will exceed flap speeds should the constraints not be in the FMS. I suspect that in FLCH, the flap speed would be exceeded, or do I have this wrong? The situation you describe is a good one, (Flap speeds in the FMS), however, I suspect the speed is controlled by pitch, not thrust, (which can be a problem in such an early capture) in terms of aircraft stability.

Such an early capture brings up another latent problem: The "Alt*" (altitude capture) characteristic, which, while first demonstrated tragically by the A330 at Toulouse, applies equally to Boeing. I wonder if this is what occurred here?

It depends upon how much the flap speed was exceeded by and what flap setting was out. I suspect more than a few here have exceeded flap speeds by a few knots for a few seconds. While not good for the slats/flaps and mainly for the flap support structure, a catastrophic failure of the flap system is not normally the result. In other words, such infrequent excursions aren't likely to damage them and in my view such an excursion wouldn't necessarily result in a decision to dump fuel and return to the airport. However, only the on-board crew can make that call, especially if the overspeed was substantial or for an extended period of time.

Anyway, all this is beside the point and off-topic. The main point here is very clear to all - a possible loss-of-control almost-certainly fatal accident avoided due to quick thinking. Now what?

PJ2