PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Near Death Incident
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 03:04
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
faheel;

For my part I fully comprehend the rapidity with which these operations can occur. That's why the departure briefing is critical and the full use of the automation is required. I gave up hand-flying London departures years ago simply because the autoflight system did it better and more accurately. There is a time for manual flight and departing Heathrow is most definitely not one of them. While not quite the silliness of the DEL SID, the Compton departure off 23R often levels at 6000ft - a trap for young players or a crew that isn't on top of the game as that is also the transition altitude and one must remember to set standard pressure immediately upon being cleared higher. It can be even much busier elsewhere and I know you'll have experienced exactly that.

The fact that this pilot is having to resort to sharing information here on an anonymous aviation forum is not good, it is shameful and a condemnation of Air India's flight safety system and operational culture. I still have no responses to the questions I have asked and that, at this stage of the thread where it is certain that people in the know would have the answers but haven't said anything, is revealing.

PJ2