PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Near Death Incident
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2010, 00:41
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bleeds off;
The automation reduced the power to idle so as not to exceed the max flaps speed.
While the "report" mentions the possibility, the B777 autothrust does not reduce to prevent "overspeed" of the flaps - in fact no transport's autothrust I have flown does this. There is a load relief function which will accomplish this however. Autothrust is targeted for the FMS or selected speed. On the Airbus, (and I agree, it is a waste of bandwidth to turn this into an A vs B commentary), but the autothrust also targets "over and underspeed" flight circumstances.
On this type of a/c is it normally an acceptable reflex to disconnect only the autothrottles while keeping autopilot engaged like he did.
Although not actually stated in any FCOM/AOM I've used, it is nevertheless a serious operational error to disconnect the autothrust and leave the autopilot engaged. The reverse, (autopilot disengaged, autothrust engaged) is normal. Notwithstanding the poor navigation constraints on the departure, they are no excuse for not handling the aircraft correctly - the takeoff briefing should cover this and make expectations clear to everyone on the deck before the thrust levers are advanced.

Lot of folks setting their hair on fire here but we still have no information on the questions I asked at the start of the thread regarding the safety processes which are in place and used at Air India.

PJ2