PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your scariest moment in a helicopter?
Old 10th Oct 2010, 00:39
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
In a land faraway...many...many...many years ago....flying a Chinook with a slingload of bullets and water to a US Army unit atop a high hill in Cambodia...in ratty weather...in and out of cloud (mostly in) tracking out using GCA vectors....a loud "BANG" was heard in the cockpit area. Next was seen "fire"....lots of FIRE!

Beiing very close to the origin of the both the bang and fire....a .51 caliber machinegun bullet had removed the left pedal from under my foot...severed hydraulic lines...and started a fire....I was quick to notice something was not quite right.

As I was playing the "Weeny Roast Scene"...as the "Weenie"....it struck me I really would preferrred to have been someplace else....like anywhere else almost.

We were able to recover the aircraft to our takeoff point....doing a GCA approach back down....and upon landing....did an inventory confirming all important bits of crew were still as they should have been...although a bit burnt and leaking from some new openings...we called it a day.

Sitting in a roaring fire....in cloud....over some very hostile country filled with some equally hostile folks....will give you a wee scare. I know...I wee whenever I remember it.

That has been my greatest claim to flame in my flying career.