PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Near Death Incident
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2010, 23:29
fullforward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could be a good idea, but...

"The flight was continued to JFK while all crew were aware that their aircraft went out of the flight envelope during takeoff with possible inherent structural damage due to a flap overspeed. While I have heard of difference in standards between EU/USA/AUS carriers and the rest, this is beyond me...".

It's very likely a status/eicas msg woul be triggered and the operating crew would notice it.
Regarding a damage due to flap overspeed again if real it would trigger a warning and a very clear eicas message. A proper checklist would call for immediate actions.
A CVR download by the FAA at JFK would be very effective.

P51

Mate: there's probably thousands of lines here debating hand flight x automation. I don't know your backgrounds, but there's a lot of wrong assumptions on your statements. Do you have a built in windshear predictions device? Or have you ever tried a CAT II or CAT III approach on a windy and rainny night?
The botom line is: it's SAFER to operate a modern aircraft using the automatic features as we can manage more effectively our flight. On the other hand, it's our job to constantly monitor them and if it screw up immediately take over!
Furthermore, it's against of the SOPs on majority of the airlines to go manual at will. Though I think is a good idea, from time to time, to turn off all automation on a clear day, low traffic and go as a Cessna 150.
We need to be proficient both on managing the electronics and flying by the seat of the pants.

Last edited by fullforward; 9th Oct 2010 at 23:50.