PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lanzarote ACE - VOR Rwy 21
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2010, 15:26
FlashOver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies BOAC and bfisk

We will be bringing this up with the company I’ve been down there 15 times in the past few years and only ever landed on Rwy 21 once. Having said that, I notice the wind is favouring Rwy 21 again today!

The new procedure really does take you very close to the terrain – approaching D9.9 LTE you can to descend to 2800’, which is very close to the high terrain at 2205’ (is that even legal in IMC? You’re still above the circling minima... so quite able to be IMC). But why? You don’t need to be any lower than 3500’ at D9.9 LTE to fly a nice profile. You keep a nice 3.5 degree descent going and it’ll work out beautifully

In daytime operations, I imagine crews will get fed up with terrain warnings and either start cobbling together some kind of offset visual approach or opt, as we did, to accept the tailwind on Rwy 03 (which is fine until the day comes when it exceeds the company maximum tailwind)

I know we’re supposed to embrace change in this business, but I wish they’d left that VOR where it was