PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STOL aircraft question.
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2010, 14:47
Boslandew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STOL to ISC

Hi Michael

I’ve just had a look at Victoria and Vancouver on Google maps and, lo and behold, a vertical view of four Twin Otters in Victoria harbour and a picture of a very smart S76 landing at the heliport.

From the overviews of the two cities and the island there is clearly an enormous market there, you can understand why three companies can thrive. From the fixed-wing web-site they have quite a route structure as well as Vic-Van.

How limited are they in winter by weather? Is IFR flight possible? I see from the operating weights that, in the UK at least, the Twin Otters could be flown single pilot. Is that so in Canada.

Were I a few years younger, I’d be every tempted to drop a line with my CV to Helijet. Dream on I believe is the expression.

Regards

David

Hi Phileas

Yes, I sadly recall the day of the accident. I was based in Suffolk at the time, gas-rigging, and the news was a real dampener. The company was of a size where we all knew each other. To their credit, one of the survivors, was airborne again in the replacement helicopter within a week. If you could get your hands on Michael Ingrams book, it’s a great read.

The jet foil does sound interesting. The closest I came was the catamaran from Newhaven but that was at a mere 37 knots.

The present vessel, the Scillonian, is elderly and in need of replacement or a major upgrade. I have yet to travel on it but it would reportedly “roll on wet grass”. I can remember being shut down on Tresco once and a couple came into the miniscule terminal there enquiring about a flight home. “We are not,”they said, "going back on that boat”. Its saving grace is that it is flat-bottomed and can get into the harbour on St Mary’s. I think there are several possibilities for a replacement but I suspect that it will need government assistance to provide one. A year-round service to Scillies is clearly vital but it doesn’t generate an enormous revenue or profit for anyone.

Regards

David